Saturday, September 18, 2010

Life

Each day I get ready for work. I climb in my red truck and head out. I stop by my favorite bookstore / coffee shop then head to work. At work I turn on my computer, I insert my memory stick in the usb port and send a worksheet from my computer to the photocopy machine, and I get ready to use the document camera connected to the projector mounted from the ceiling. I check my cell phone for the time. I may receive a call on the phone sitting on my desk. I check attendance on the gradebook website, then send an email to a parent or another teacher. I google for a senior t-shirt pattern. I attach a dvd to projector and I show a video. After work I go to the bookstore to visit the friends I've made there. At home I check facebook to see what my friends and family are doing and I send messages to my friends. I go to another website to read the newspaper or check the local radar. I google to see where the college football games will be and how long it will take me to travel to another town. I make hotel reservations and look up books I would like to read but know I will never get around to. Then I ask myself how we did things before document cameras, cell phones, computers? What did I do before the bookstore was there for me? How did I keep in touch before facebook? How did I learn anything before Google? And what did I do before I had a truck to drive to school?
And my biggest question of all: These devices were invented to save time and to make life simpler. So how did life get so complicated?

No comments:

Post a Comment