Sunday, July 10, 2016

Personal Responsibility

Some things never change. I watch kids play and I notice two or three trying to make up the rules as they go so that they come out ahead. I can remember trying make up my own rules as a small child. I was quickly shut down by parents. But I sometimes still joke that the world would be a better place if everyone just did what I wanted. I could live in a world where I could do what I wanted, but punish others for doing the same things. I could take what I wanted from the store. No one could object. I could take days off and no one could object. Of I hit someone they could not hit me back. It would be my world.
But I cannot imagine the chaos of living in a world where everyone Did that. Everyone thought they could take what they wanted and no one had a right to complain or respond. People could kill one another and expect no punishment.  People could halfway finish a job and expect full payment. People could steal and blame it on the one they stole from. A world where no one bears any personal responsibility ..... I cannot imagine.
An ant cannot move a mountain alone. But an army of ants can move mountains if each one bears his own load.

No comments:

Post a Comment